Some Basics About the TEACH Grant
For those who wish to apply for the Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH Grant), there are seven important things to know.
- The first thing is that interested candidates must fill out their details on the U.S. Department of Education’s TEACH website.
- The second thing to remember is that the TEACH Grant requires what is known as a counselling session, which will take place online
- The third thing of importance regarding the TEACH Grant is that the counseling session is required before candidates complete what is known as the TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve (ATS).
- The fourth point about the TEACH grant is that each ATS is valid for one year.
- The fifth thing to remember is that the procedures for completing the ATS require a Federal Student Aid PIN number. Candidates must visit this U.S. Department of Education site to apply for a PIN number. Remember not to give your PIN number to anybody. It is confidential and for your use only. Even college grant and FAFSA services should not know your PIN number.
- The sixth item of relevance is that TEACH Grant candidates will need their Social Security Numbers and your Federal Student Aid PIN numbers to apply. https://teach-ats.ed.gov/ats/studentHome.action
- The seventh thing to know is that TEACH Grand candidates will need to dedicate uninterrupted time online in order to complete the application process. The first part will require about 45 minutes and the second part will require about 30 minutes.
What to Do after Creating a Log-In I.D. for the TEACH Grant
Once you’ve created a login ID and are on the TEACH Grant site for the first time, click START NEW COUNSELING to begin a new session. You will need to declare the year for which you are receiving the TEACH Grant, plus the name of the school and its location. The session will focus on the ATS, your service obligation and how a TEACH Grant converts to a loan if you fail to meet your commitments. Each of these three sections has a quiz to make sure you understand how the TEACH Grant works and the obligations and commitments you are making by accepting the TEACH Grant. Allow about 45 minutes to complete the counseling session. If you are unable to complete your session in one sitting and you log-out or exit the TEACH Grant website, you will have to start again from the beginning. However, your session will still be intact if you leave the counseling area of the website to browse other pages of the TEACH Grant site.
Once your counselling session has been completed, you can begin to work on your ATS. This will take about 30 minutes to complete.
Once you’ve followed the steps regarding the PIN set up and are ready to get started on your TEACH Grant application process see https://teach-ats.ed.gov/ats/index.action. For further ideas for how to help pay for a teaching degree see our page on teaching and education grants.
Photo Credit: from Creative Commons License, R.L. Filipowski