Nursing Grants – Healthcare Education
Government Grants and Scholarships to Relieve Shortage of Nurses in USA
The profession of nursing is vital to everybody. Since the U.S. government recognizes this there is a scholarship from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HRSA) to assist low-income students obtain a nursing degree. Their website features the Nursing Scholarship Program which aims to relieve the shortage of registered nurses in the United States. Recipients of the scholarship agree to work for at least two years at a health care facility that is experiencing a severe shortage of nurses. This scholarship is also need-based, so the candidates who demonstrate the greatest financial need are the most likely to receive it. In 2013, applications are accepted from late March until early May. Learn more about the HRSA Scholarship Program. In addition to this, students of nursing should check out the general college grants available, such as the Pell Grant and other study grants and scholarships.
Other Ways to Pay for Nursing School
Other ideas to help nursing students pay for college are
(1) the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) . To apply for a nursing scholarship with them go to www.afrotc.com .
(2) The OnlineNursingDegrees.org’s Mary Blake Single Parent Nursing Scholarship. The scholarship is valid not only for online degrees in nursing from accredited institutions but also for traditional campus nursing studies. For further information you may e-mail email@example.com.
(3) At www.DiscoverNursing.com there is a scholarship search tab, because the number of nursing scholarships is overwhelming. Choose from you state, grade point average, ethnicity and educational level.
(4) The American Medical Association (AMA) awards the Joan F. Giambalvo Memorial Scholarship for women in medical school.
(5) Foundation of the National Student Nurses Association (FNSNA) has scholarships to help nurses pay for their education.
(6) The American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) has a website with links and information about several scholarships available just for nursing students.
Nursing Grants and Scholarships in Your Local Area
CampusRN has six scholarships of $2,500. Each recipient is from a different part of the United States. CampusRN divides the U.S. map into Pacific, Mountain, South Central, Midwest, Southeast, and Northeast, with one candidate per region due to receive the award. After applying for the Pell Grant, nursing students should check to see if their local state has any special grants to help future nurses pay for college.
Additional Resources for Nurses and Students of Nursing
The American Society of Registered Nurses funds several grants. These grants are for existing registered nurses and not for college students.
www.allnursingschools.com is a resource website that may be of interest to those studying or interested in studying nursing. It doesn’t list grants or scholarships though.
It is a good idea for potential nursing students to begin the application process for college grants in early January, by filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and continuing from. When looking for nursing grants and nursing scholarships, it helps to plan ahead.